THE husband of a Bristol nurse believed to have taken her life after being duped by prank callers to the private hospital where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated has said he is "devastated".
Jacintha Saldanha, pictured, who lived in Southmead with her husband and two teenage children, was found dead on Friday at nurses' lodgings near the central London King Edward VII hospital, where the duchess was being treated for pregnancy complications, just three days after answering the call from two Australian DJs, pictured below, posing as the Queen and Prince Charles. The nurse, who used to work for North Bristol NHS Trust – which runs Southmead Hospital near the family home – answered the call at 5.30am before putting the DJs through to another nurse who gave the callers details of the duchess' condition.
The Metropolitan Police said Ms Saldanha's death was currently being treated as "unexplained" but not suspicious. A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.
Friends, family and neighbours have paid tribute to the nurse and the chairman of the private hospital has contacted the company that owns the radio station responsible for the hoax protesting at their act of "humiliation", while a fund has been set up to support her family.
Mrs Saldanha's husband has been too upset to talk about her death but released a statement via police, which said: "We as a family are deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Jacintha.
Her husband Ben Barboza, posted an obituary for his wife on his Facebook page. On the page Mr Barboza, who lists his employment as working for the NHS, said: "I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances."
He said that Mrs Saldanha will be laid to rest in Shirva, India, where she was born.
Police officers were on duty outside the family home in Greystoke Avenue over the weekend. Neighbours said the family were quiet but looked happy.
Marion Holmes, 49, who lived nearby, said: "They kept themselves to themselves usually but she sometimes spoke to me because I have a disabled daughter. Whenever I'd seen her she was smiling."
"It's awful, what has happened."
Neighbour Mary Atwell, 56, said: "She was a lovely, lovely person who always spoke to you when you saw her in the street.
"On Friday afternoon I saw a police car outside their home but I didn't think much of it. I suppose that was when they heard. She must have taken the whole thing very badly because I don't think the hospital disciplined her for what happened.
"She simply couldn't live with herself I suppose. But you could see that she was dedicated to her job."
A spokesman for North Bristol NHS Trust (NBT) said Mrs Saldanha had started working for them in 2003 for a number of years.
"We are shocked and saddened by this news and offer our sincere condolences," he said.
Ms Saldanha was taught to drive by Jeff Sellick at Chequers Driving School, until she passed her test in May last year.
"She was a really nice person, always punctual and always organised," Mr Sellick said.
"She was a very private person who did not talk too much about her family. She was very quiet, very polite – a very nice person.
"It was just a complete shock when I found out what had happened. I just feel really sorry for the family. It is just so unnecessary."
Mrs Saldanha's husband's family in India spoke to reporters of their distress at her death.
His mother Carmine Barboza, 69, told the Sunday Telegraph how her son broke the news of his wife's death from the family home in Shirva, Mangalore: "He was crying and couldn't speak much. Benedict informed us that Jacintha had died. More than that we do not know, about what actually happened. Jacintha was a very caring woman. She used to call us every Sunday. We just cannot believe what has happened."
She said the family was keen that Mrs Saldanha's body would be brought to India for them to perform her last rites.
Renny Buthello, 46, a friend who was at nursing school with Mrs Saldanha in Mangalore, who now lives in Salford, Greater Manchester, told the national newspaper: "She was mentally very strong and academically capable, a very hard worker and a competitive student."
It was reported that Mrs Saldanha was a member of the congregation at St Vincent de Paul Catholic church in Southmead.
Father Thomas Finnegan told the Sunday Telegraph: "We are deeply saddened at the loss of a loving and caring wife and mother and a very good professional. This is a terribly sad time for her family and they have our support."
Chairman of Edward VII Hospital Lord Glenarthur said he wanted to protest against the "extremely foolish" hoax and the "truly appalling" decision to broadcast the pre-recorded call.
His letter to Southern Cross Austereo said: "The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients."
Lord Glenarthur described the consequences of the hoax call as "tragic beyond words".
"I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated," he signed off.
Psychologist Joshua Carritt-Baker did not know the Bristol nurse but felt saddened by the story and wanted to take some action to help the family.
He has set up an online donation page for people who want to show their support.
To support the fund visit www. indiegogo.com/Jacintha-Saldanha.
No comments:
Post a Comment